Chances are you’re not super familiar with the 1967 Hanna-Barbera animated series The Herculoids. If that’s the case, then this handy character guide (courtesy of Wikipedia) should help to give you a little bit of background. The humans are your pretty standard heroic family, but the creatures are something else entirely, and they make the show a standout. Take a look below!
The three humanoid characters were the only ones who could communicate in English.
- Zandor (voiced by Mike Road) – The protector of Amzot/Quasar. Leader of The Herculoids.
- Tara (voiced by Virginia Gregg) – Zandor’s wife.
- Dorno (voiced by Ted Eccles in the original series, Sparky Marcus in 1981) – Son of Zandor and Tara. Despite being their son, he still refers to them by their first names, rather than “Mother” and “Father.” However this changed in the 80’s revival of the series.
The five creature characters of The Herculoids are:
- Zok (voiced by Mike Road) – A flying space dragon. He can emit laser beams from his eyes and tail. His eyes also produce a “nega-beam” that can neutralize certain energy attacks. Zok can survive in space unaided, is capable of interstellar travel, and can breathe fire.
- Igoo (voiced by Mike Road) – A rock ape. An extremely large and powerful simian, he has extremely dense rock-like skin and is nearly invulnerable to harm. In one episode, Igoo wades through a pond of molten lava. Igoo has a kind and gentle temperament as well as a great fondness and devotion for Tara, and would do anything for her.
- Tundro (voiced by Mike Road) – A ten-legged, four-horned rhino/triceratops hybrid. He can shoot explosive energy rocks from his cannon-horn (Zandor, Tara, and Dorno also occasionally shoot similar rocks with slingshots). His natural armor-plating is exceptionally strong, similar to Igoo’s rock skin. His legs have the ability to extend to a remarkable length, somewhat like stilts. He can also spin his head at blinding speed, allowing him to drill through solid rock, and has the ability to make magnificent leaps.
- Gloop and Gleep (both voiced by Don Messick) – Two protoplasmic creatures. They are able to absorb and deflect energy blasts and laser beams, often placing themselves between attackers and other Herculoids to act as shields. They can also form shapes including, but not limited to: cushions, trampolines or parachutes to break falls; stretching themselves between tree limbs or rocks to act as slingshots; encircling an attacker’s limbs to restrain them, or the entire body to squeeze and render them unconscious. Gloop is the larger of the two.