Up next on Saturday Mourning Cartoons, it’s the 1987 Spanish animated TV series, David the Gnome. In the US, David the Gnome aired on Nickelodeon, narrated by Christopher Plummer and featuring Tom Bosley as the voice of the title character. And in order to give you a crash course on the rest of the characters in the show, we’ve provided this handy character guide (via Wikipedia).
If you’re a fan of the show and would like to revisit your childhood, please consider using our referral link to pick up David the Gnome on DVD here.
- David – A gnome of the forest. David is 399 years old, making him the oldest gnome around (since most gnomes live no more than 400 years exactly), although he possesses exceptional constitution. David is a doctor, and he uses his knowledge of many fields, such as hypnosis and acupuncture, to heal his patients, usually animals, such as his faithful friend Swift the fox, or other gnomes. David also befriends a bird that, when he whistles, immediately arrives to quickly transport him to wherever necessary. For longer trips, he sometimes travels in a basket attached to the neck of the bird. Voiced by Tom Bosley.
- Lisa – David’s wife and companion and is the same age as him. Together they have two children, Lily and Harold. David’s wife is in charge of the household, although she occasionally accompanies him and helps him in his diverse adventures. Voiced by Jane Woods.
- Swift the Fox – David’s best friend who lives in the forest and is always available to transport David to wherever he is required. Huygen’s son, Josh, came up with this character. This is Josh’s favorite character. He is characterized by his speed and loyalty to David. Voiced by Vlasta Vrána.
- The Trolls – In the series, there are four trolls who constantly try to bother the gnomes. Their names are Pit, Pat and Pot, andHoller. Holler has a receding hairline and is the only one of the four able to think. They have some supernatural powers, and are capable of using magical spells too powerful for Gnome magic to break. However, in addition to their extreme lack of wit, they also have another severe weakness: direct exposure to sunlight turns them into stone. Holler was voiced by A.J. Henderson, Pit was voiced by Marc Denis, Pat was voiced by Rob Roy, and Pot was voiced by Adrian Knight.
- Susan – David and Lisa’s granddaughter. Voiced by Barbara Pogenmiller.
- King – Voiced by Richard Dumont
- Paul – David’s twin brother. Not only does Paul have a normal moustache in contrast to David’s handlebar moustache but his jumper is a darker shade of blue, he has a bigger nose, his gnome hat is dark blue whereas David’s is red, and his trousers and boots are an inverse of David’s: David’s trousers are brown and his boots are beige, while Paul wears beige trousers and dark boots.