On this week’s podcast, we’ll be talking about the 1994 Mainframe Entertainment production, ReBoot, so to get you familiar with the computer-generated citizens of Mainframe, we put together a handy character guide (via Wikipedia).
You can watch the entire series on Hulu, or if you’d like a hard copy for yourself, Amazon has an awesome special edition for sale as ReBoot: The Definitive Mainframe Edition. If you were going to pick it up anyway, please consider making a purchase through our referral link since it helps to fund the podcast.
The main characters included:
- Bob – Guardian #452, acts as the Guardian of Mainframe.
- Dot Matrix – Originally owns a local diner and many other “businesses” (as seen at the end of the third episode of the first season). Takes over as COMMAND.COM in the third season.
- Enzo Matrix – Dot’s younger brother who idolized Bob as a hero, later grows up to become the renegade simply known as Matrix. In keeping with the computer theme of the show, “ENZO” is an acronym of four common computer processor status register flags, (E)nable Interrupt + (N)egative + (Z)ero + (O)verflow.
- Frisket – A red and yellow dog. He is feral, and only listens to Enzo.
- Phong – The original COMMAND.COM of Mainframe, serves as a mentor and adviser to its inhabitants and works with Bob in defence of the system.
- AndrAIa – A game sprite and friend (and later girlfriend) of Enzo introduced in season two. The “AI” in her name refers to “Artificial Intelligence.”
- Megabyte – A “command and conquer, and infectious” computer virus, and the series’ main villain. He is the opposite of Hexadecimal, and is an “Order Virus”. Once came from the virus known as Kilobyte. When merged with his sister Hexadecimal, they form an even more powerful virus called Gigabyte.
- Hexadecimal – Megabyte’s twin sister (came from the same viral strand: Kilobyte), a “chaotic” computer virus, whose face is represented by a series of masks, each portraying a different emotion. She is the opposite of Megabyte, and is a “Chaos Virus”.
- Mouse – A freelance hacker who originally is mentioned briefly, then works for Megabyte in a one-shot early in the season, but then later switches sides and joins Dot and Enzo to defend Mainframe when Bob is trapped in “The Web.”
- Hack & Slash – The two most commonly seen Henchmen in Megabyte’s employ. Neither of them is very good at problem solving. During the 3rd season they switch sides and join the COMMAND.COM side of Mainframe.
If you’d like a little more in-depth character information (in addition to this week’s podcast), head over to ReBoot Revival for the latest news and plenty of history on the show. If you’d like to check out some excellent fan art, take a look at the ReBoot characters on Matt Rhodes’ personal site, and EmpressHelenia’s deviantart page. A sample of each follows below: